The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship programme is funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, and managed by the Council. It is a national initiative.
The Postgraduate Scholarship programme is a unique one in the Republic of Ireland research landscape and other funded PG education in Ireland are enhanced by this programme. Its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology;
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
The Scholarship programme provides the opportunity for over-performing students to start their personal researches very early in their careers. They are assigned supervisors in their respective areas of interest.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship programme is a highly competitive one as shown by the average success rate of 18% across the last half-decade. To be a successful beneficiary of The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship programme, one must demonstrate world-class potential as a future research leader.
The scholarship covers:
- a stipend of €16,000 per annum
- a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum
- eligible direct research expenses of €2,250 per annum
Potential applicants for The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship programme should read the 2021 Government of Ireland Terms and Conditions carefully to ascertain whether or not they are eligible to apply. Indicative versions of the applicant, supervisor and referee forms are provided for information purposes only. All participants must create and submit their forms via the online system.
Call open: September 3, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Deadline: October 22, 2020
Applicant Deadline: October 29, 2020 (16:00Hrs Irish Time)
Supervisor and Referee Deadline: November 5, 2020 (16:00Hrs Irish Time)
Research Office Endorsement Deadline: November 12, 2020 (16:00Hrs Irish Time)
Call Outcome: End of March 2021
Scholarship Start Date: September 1, 2021
NB: The dates provided may be subject to change!
For more enquiries and application, please visit the Official Scholarship Home