The call for application for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2021/2022 for Ph.D. in Canada is out and applications are called from Non-Canadian citizens (international students), Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
This is an unparalleled opportunity to get a fulfilling and tuition-free doctorate degree in Canada.
Table of Contents
About Vanier Vanier Canada graduate scholarship
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships also known as Vanier CGS was launched in 2018 in other to keep world-class doctoral students in Canada and establish Canada as a global centre for research and higher learning.
The holders of Vanier Canada Graduate scholarship are known for the leadership skills they demonstrate and at the same time a high standard of scholarly achievements in graduate studies in the field of health, engineering, natural sciences, social sciences and humanities.
The Vanier CGS program is administered on behalf of the granting agencies – CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC by the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) which is housed within the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
The Secretariat is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program and provides administrative support to the selection committees responsible for application review, in collaboration with the selection committee chairs.
Level(s) of study for Vanier Canada graduate scholarship 2021/2022 for Ph.D. in Canada
- Combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Social sciences and humanities research
Number of scholarship
Annual award of up to 166 Vanier CGS
A total of 500 scholarships runs at a time
Duration of scholarship
3 years (Non-renewable)
Criteria for selection
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- Be nominated by just one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- Be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it’s a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Intend to pursue, within the summer semester or the tutorial year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; For joint graduate research program, only the PhD portion of a joint graduate research program is eligible for funding.
- Have completed no quite 20 months of full-time study in their doctoral program as of May Day , 2021
- Have completed no quite 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program, by May 1st, 2021 if enrolled during a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/PhD, MA/PhD, DVM/PhD. Applicants that fall under this category have access to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled during a Master’s program; or
- Have completed no quite 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by May Day , 2021 if accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a PhD (no time spent during a Master’s program); or
- Have completed no quite 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by May Day , 2021 if accelerated from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
- Have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral program.
NB: See for more details about eligibility
Application/nomination instructions for Vanier Canada graduate scholarship 2021/2022 for Ph.D. in Canada
Candidates must be nominated by the institution at which they need to review. Candidates cannot apply on to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program.
Vanier CGS application packages submitted through ResearchNet will first be submitted to the Canadian institution which will be asserting their nomination.
Candidates should verify institutional internal deadlines with the administrator at the nominating institution.
Candidates should read the choice Committee Guide before commencing their application. This guide lists the three evaluation criteria and has useful information on how the standards are evaluated.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships selection committees are multidisciplinary, and applications should therefore be written with a non-specialist research audience in mind.
You must also review the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion page before beginning the preparation or review of an application.
To be considered eligible for funding, candidates must attain a mean score of a minimum of 3.1 in each of the three criteria.
See Detailed Application/Nomination Instructions Here
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship 2021/2022 for Ph.D. in Canada Timeline
|July – November 2021||Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit an application package.|
|Internal Deadline (varies)||Deadline to submit an application to the nominating institution. Contact the nominating institution for a specific date.|
|November 6, 2021(20:00 ET)||Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.|
|November 2021 – March 2022||Review and evaluation of nominations.|
|Early April 2022||Anticipated notification of results. Nominees will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.|
|May 1, 2021, September 1, 2021, or January 1, 2022||Payments begin.|
VISIT THE OFFICIAL SCHOLARSHIP HOME PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION
You may also like to apply for:
- The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) 2021/2022 – Fully-Funded
- STUDY IN CANADA SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAM 2021/2022
- Türkiye Undergraduate/Post-Graduate Scholarships 2021 Applications
- DEVELOPING SOLUTIONS MASTERS SCHOLARSHIP AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM UK
- TOP 9 US EMBASSY SCHOLARSHIPS FOR AFRICANS IN 2021
We also recommend:
- REQUIREMENTS FOR Ph.D. IN CANADA: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
- How To Write A Statement of Purpose For Ph.D.
- HOW TO APPLY FOR UK STUDENT VISA BY YOURSELF
- How Do I Become an Energy Efficiency Consultant in 2021
- THE BEST IELTS PREPARATION TEXTBOOKS
- Statement Of Purpose For Cyber Security [Sample Included]