The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship (American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship) is channelled to international or foreign students who have a track record of high academic excellence added to a committed passion towards positive civic and social change and wish to obtain their Bachelor’s Degree in the United States.
The goal of this is to have the international students go back to their home countries and make positive changes in less privileged communities in their home countries.
Table of Contents
American University, Washington DC, USA
Level/Field(s) of study:
Any of the undergraduate courses available at the institution
Number of Scholarships:
No of scholarship for subsequent years is unknown but One (1) scholarship is available for the year 2020
The target group for AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship:
This is targeted to non-citizens of the U.S who show high academic performance and a strong commitment to changing their society to better through civic activities. Applicant must not hold a permanent resident in the U.S or non-immigrant visa
15 Dec /15 Jan (annual)
Study in: USA
The course starts August (Annually)
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board). The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S. $4,000).
It is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
Read Also: AAUW U.S scholarship for international women
Eligibility for AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship:
Preference will be given to:
- Foreign students who have a strong passion to make societal changes who have the tenacity and have solving societal challenges. Coming from an underrepresented socioeconomic background will be an added advantage.
- Be in the top 10 graduating class
- Show past experience in leadership (not necessarily leadership position), volunteering and community services that advance the societal well-being of poor communities.
- Students with a 95+ TOEFL iBT, 7.0+ IELTS, 600+ paper-based TOEFL (taken on or prior to May 31, 2017), or sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after 31 May 2017).
- Secondary school students or high school students who would be graduating by June can apply before the deadline.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at lease 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August of the application year
You are NOT eligible to apply for AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship if:
– You hold U.S citizenship or permanent residency permit.
– If you are already in another tertiary institution either home or abroad
– You graduated secondary school earlier than one year to application date.
Application instructions for AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship:
To apply to the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, you must apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by 15 December or by 15 January at the latest.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.american.edu/admissions/international/egls.cfm