The call for application for the DAAD In-Country/ In-Region Scholarship Programmes for Eastern Africa Region 2021 intake is out. This scholarship is aimed at developing internationally oriented University education in the Eastern Africa region.
To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the program contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
The DAAD In-Country/ In-Region Scholarship Programmes for Eastern Africa Region 2021 is targeted at graduates and post-graduates from Sub-Saharan Africa who intend to pursue Master’s or Ph.D. courses in either their home country (i.e. In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The following DAAD requirements must be met by applicants to be considered for the DAAD In-Country/ In-Region Scholarship Programmes for Eastern Africa Region 2021.
- have successfully completed generally a three-year Bachelor’s degree (Master candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university Master’s degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Sahara African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Refer to the Call for Scholarship Applications 2021 for additional requirements and documents to be submitted.
Funding for the DAAD In-Country/ In-Region Scholarship Programmes for Eastern Africa Region 2021 is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree program.
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance (once yearly)
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
- and the possibility of a study visit of up to 6 months to Germany within the period of the scholarship
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
Application deadline: December 15, 2020
How to apply:
Applicants must first apply for the scholarship via the DAAD portal. Applicants are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application. Please refer to the Call for Application 2021 for the specific link to the funding programme in the DAAD portal.
Parallel to this process, applicants must at the same time apply for admission at the selected host institution using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. The host institution/universities have set their own deadlines.
Please inform yourself about the respective admission processes and deadlines at the host institution. Reach out to the institution’s website or contact person at the host institution for more information.
For questions related to the programme, please see our Frequently Asked Questions for the in-country/in-region scholarship programme 2021 intake here.
Planning is ongoing for a series of web seminars on the scholarship application for the DAAD in-country/in-region scholarship programme Eastern Africa 2021 where you can find more information. Please click here to see the next appointments.