Work-Study in Finland: Visa Types to Apply For


Finland is known for its high-quality education system and excellent work opportunities. International students who wish to study and work in Finland have the option to apply for various visa types that allow them to do so. In this blog post, we will explore the different visa options available for work-study in Finland.

1. Student Residence Permit

The Student Residence Permit is the most common visa for international students in Finland. It allows students to study full-time and work part-time during their studies. To be eligible for this permit, you need to be enrolled in a recognized educational institution in Finland and have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses.

With a Student Residence Permit, you can work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during university holidays. This visa is valid for the duration of your studies and allows you to stay in Finland for up to one year after graduation to search for employment.

2. Working Holiday Visa

Finland has a Working Holiday Visa program for young people aged 18-30 from certain countries. This visa allows you to work and travel in Finland for up to one year. The Working Holiday Visa is an excellent option for those who want to experience life in Finland while working part-time.

With this visa, you can work for multiple employers and engage in various types of work. It is important to note that the availability of Working Holiday Visas may be limited, and you should check the specific requirements and quotas for your country of residence.

3. Residence Permit for Scientific Research

If you are a researcher or a doctoral student planning to conduct scientific research in Finland, you may be eligible for a Residence Permit for Scientific Research. This visa allows you to work and study in Finland for the purpose of scientific research or completing a doctoral degree.

To apply for this permit, you need to have an invitation or a contract from a Finnish research institution or university. The duration of the permit depends on the length of your research project or doctoral studies.

4. Finnish Language Course Visa

If you are interested in learning the Finnish language, you can apply for a Finnish Language Course Visa. This visa allows you to study the Finnish language in an approved language school in Finland.

While this visa does not specifically allow you to work, you can work part-time for up to 25 hours per week during your language course. Once you complete your language studies, you may be eligible to apply for a Student Residence Permit to continue your studies or work in Finland.

5. Entrepreneur Visa

If you have a business idea and want to start your own company in Finland, you can apply for an Entrepreneur Visa. This visa allows you to establish and operate a business in Finland.

To be eligible for an Entrepreneur Visa, you need to have a viable business plan, sufficient funds to support yourself, and meet other specific requirements set by the Finnish Immigration Service. This visa does not have any restrictions on working hours, as you will be self-employed.


Finland offers a range of visa options for international students who wish to study and work in the country. Whether you want to pursue a degree, conduct research, learn the Finnish language, or start your own business, there is a visa type that suits your needs. It is important to carefully review the requirements and application process for each visa type to ensure a smooth and successful application.

Remember, obtaining a visa is just the first step in your journey to work and study in Finland. It is essential to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations regarding work and study permits, as well as the opportunities available to you as an international student in Finland.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like