Work-Study in Netherlands: Visa Types to Apply For

Studying abroad can be a life-changing experience, and the Netherlands is a popular destination for international students. Not only does the country offer high-quality education, but it also provides opportunities for students to work part-time while studying. If you are considering studying in the Netherlands and want to work alongside your studies, it is important to understand the different visa types available for work-study purposes.

1. Student Visa (Type II)

The Student Visa, also known as Type II visa, is the most common visa for international students in the Netherlands. With this visa, you are allowed to work part-time for up to 16 hours per week or full-time during the summer months (June, July, and August). The Student Visa is valid for the duration of your study program and allows you to work in any field without the need for a work permit.

It is important to note that the Student Visa is only available for students enrolled in a recognized educational institution in the Netherlands. You will need to provide proof of enrollment and sufficient financial means to support yourself during your studies.

2. Orientation Year Visa (Type III)

The Orientation Year Visa, also known as Type III visa, is designed to allow international graduates to stay in the Netherlands for up to one year after completing their studies. This visa allows you to work without any restrictions, giving you the opportunity to gain work experience and explore job opportunities in the country.

To be eligible for the Orientation Year Visa, you must have completed a bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD program at a recognized Dutch educational institution. You must also meet certain criteria, including having sufficient financial means and a valid health insurance policy.

3. Highly Skilled Migrant Visa

If you are a highly skilled professional or have a job offer in the Netherlands, you may be eligible for the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa. This visa allows you to work in the Netherlands and is not limited to a specific field of study. To be eligible for this visa, you must have a job offer from a recognized employer in the Netherlands and meet certain income requirements.

The Highly Skilled Migrant Visa offers several benefits, including a simplified application process and the possibility of bringing your family members to the Netherlands.

4. Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday Visa is a special visa program that allows young people from certain countries to work and travel in the Netherlands for a limited period of time. This visa is available for individuals aged 18 to 30 and is typically valid for one year.

With a Working Holiday Visa, you can work in the Netherlands to support your stay and travel around the country during your free time. However, it is important to note that the number of Working Holiday Visas available each year is limited, and eligibility criteria may vary depending on your country of origin.


When considering work-study opportunities in the Netherlands, it is crucial to understand the different visa types available. The Student Visa (Type II) is the most common option for international students, allowing them to work part-time during their studies. The Orientation Year Visa (Type III) provides an opportunity for graduates to stay in the Netherlands and work without restrictions for up to one year. The Highly Skilled Migrant Visa is available for highly skilled professionals with a job offer, while the Working Holiday Visa allows young people to work and travel in the Netherlands for a limited period of time.

Each visa type has its own requirements and benefits, so it is important to carefully consider your options and choose the one that best suits your needs and goals. Remember to consult with the Dutch immigration authorities or your educational institution for the most up-to-date information and guidance on visa applications.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like